Saturday 23 March 2013

19th August - The accident - What happened...

Photo's from online
Sunday 19th August 2012. Me and my boyfriend of 5 years, Joss, had free passes to WestMidlands Safari Park. We had had these passes for months for this specific date and had never been together before. We travelled there on Joss's motorbike as we did to most places. We spent the day there in the sunshine and travelled in one of the jeeps around the animals (obviously you aren't allowed to ride a bike through a field of tigers!). We left late afternoon and decided to stop off at Joss's home to collect a pair of my boots for a night out we were planning for the next day. We arrived at Joss's and I spoke to his dad about the safari park whilst Joss got the boots...that is the last thing I remember. Apparently we left soon after to go to my house - a 5 minute journey we took almost daily. (the rest is what I am told) We entered the same roundabout as always. We travelled round the roundabout to take the 3rd exit into the Oakalls housing estate, A woman was coming off the Redditch bypass, she did not slow down, she did not stop. We were in the right lane, we were indicating correctly, Joss saw her and tried his best to swerve. She was too fast and collided with us, at this point Joss and the bike hit the floor, I am told I was thrown into the air, landing on her bonnet before I hit the floor and somehow she managed to drive over my body, she drove a further 10/12 metres dragging my body with her. Eventually she stopped and her and her passengers (including a young child) got out. When Joss realised where I was, he saw me trapped under the car and believed I had died. Police, fire crews, 3 land ambulances and a rapid response team were called and Joss called his dad who arrived soon after. The Island was shut off at every exit and entrance and at one point I remember regaining conciousness. Another driver was laying on the floor infront of me holding my hand trying to keep me awake, I couldnt converse with him then but I would love to thank him for that. I was screaming that I couldn't breathe and I couldnt move my legs, the only pain I recall was the side of my face on the road and I can remember my mouth was full of blood. The fire crew used inflatable bags to lift the car and an air ambulance with a trauma doctor on board arived and administered emergency treatment and decided to anaesthatise me on the road. Joss was taken by ambulance to the Alex where he was eventually diagnosed with a dislocated collar bone (something they can't do a lot for) he was given a sling and sent home. My mom was visited by the police and Joss's dad and told she needed to get the the Queen Elizabeth hospital in birmingham as soon as possible as I was likely not to make it. When they arrived they were attempting to stabilise me in A&E and I was in an induced coma, waiting for a bed in the intensive care unit......I wont write anymore today and I hope this doesn't upset anyone, please feel free to ask any questions below or email or whatever, drive safe, George xxx 

No comments:

Post a Comment